Monday, October 26, 2009

Modern Living/Neurotica


Modern Living/ Neurotica
by Han Hoogerbrugge



Someone introduced me to this animation series, and I immediately loved it. According to BIS Publishers, who published a book and DVD on Hoogerbrugge's work, this series is "
about a man - Hoogerbrugge’s alter ego - who is struggling with the trappings and everyday inconveniences of modern life." I'm not entirely sure that's what I get from the work, but my interest is in the masterfulness in the craftsmanship. Modern Living is composed of 99 short animations, varying in length, style, and interactivity. Some have a clear message, others are more abstract. They often involve a visual gag or a certain amount of commitment from the viewer, to "find" the hidden message or to search the screen for secret buttons. It becomes highly addictive to watch, quickly consuming each little animation and move on to the next one.

This work appeals to me less for its concept and more for its formal elements. As a student of animation, I am always interested to see how it can be utilized beyond traditional storytelling, and I think this is a great example. Hoogerbrugge's shorts seem like miniature experiments, each is unique yet easily consumed, like potato chips that you can't stop eating. I also admire the work for its interactivity, it literally demands for get involved and become a participant in the work, always leaving you wanting more. I definitely want to utilize these two elements (animation and interactivity) in my approach to my thesis project.

No comments:

Post a Comment