Friday, November 13, 2009

A Horse Is Not a Metaphor

by Barbara Hammer

This is a great example of an artist trying to communicate about their own experience with cancer. The images are striking, Hammer exposes her naked self in the fetal position, highlighting her vulnerability and her feelings of desperation and loneliness. The music in the background is haunting and emotional, hinting at the pervasive sense of fear that is characteristic of the cancer experience.

I admire and respect the artist for sharing her experience using her art. I can certainly connect with it on an emotional level. That being said, this approach to the subject is a bit too depressing to me, and contrasts sharply with my own views on subjective positivity and humor. The aesthetic of this piece is very upsetting and disturbing, and if that is the intention then I can't argue with that. However, for me, part of the reason I want to communicate about this topic is not only to make people aware of the reality and severity of the issue, but to also bring to light the hopeful and positive aspects that do exist. I think this work fails to express this side of the experience, and so I think it only succeeds in showing a portion of what the experience may feel like.

No comments:

Post a Comment