Friday, January 29, 2010

Group Critique #1

I thought our first group critique was really productive. A high level of consideration and professionalism was evident in all the works we discussed, and I was very impressed with the variety of different ideas people had. Each project had different compelling elements, and I felt like it was good for me to see what people are working on outside of my own concentration of graphic design.

For my part, I was really grateful to get such strong feedback from the members of my group and at the moment I feel very confidant about the direction my thesis is going. I have some concerns about the amount of space we will be given-- not so much that I won't have enough, because I can adapt accordingly-- but that we won't be given this information soon enough. In order to proceed with production, I really have to know how much space I have to work with. I also want to experiment with the "conventions" of board games to try to find an innovative way to design the "flow' of my piece.

To answer the questions Victor posed to us:

1) I think what we did today was a good model for what we ought to continue doing-- presenting our work (such as it is) and constructively discussing it, focusing on strengthening each others' ideas and presenting solutions to the problems each of us encounters. I think the atmosphere should stay relaxed and supportive, everyone should keep a flexible and open mind, avoiding confrontation when (inevitably) opinions or tastes may differ. I'm not too concerned about this, though, based on the vibe from the first meeting.

2) For myself, I tend to get very deep into my own work and I sometimes have trouble stepping back and looking at it objectively. Especially given the personal nature of my thesis (dealing with cancer) I will really benefit from a fresh perspective and hearing the intellectual and emotional reactions of my peers as I continue to work. I hope that in future group critiques people will feel comfortable offering more suggestions, so that my final work will be the product of many carefully-considered decisions based on collaborative input. I also look forward to helping the rest of my group fine-tune their own ideas.

2 comments:

  1. The ideas that you had brought last Friday were very interesting as my son plays a lot of games. I am interested in seeing where you will go with this idea. I agree with your post that spacing will be an issue and hope that we all will be able to figure out the amount of space we need to use in order to complete our thesis... Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only speak for myself, but I think once I get to know you a little more I will be able to speak up when it's your turn to go. I thing the idea is great but the subject is something that many people do not like to talk about. It's scary and very personal to you, and those are two things that people (or just me) tend to avoid. But we (I) will try our (my) best to give you comments and help you create an awesome thesis.

    ReplyDelete